10 Things about Copper, the we bet you didn't know!
Hi Empire Fam, It's been a few weeks but I'm back and trying to stay semi consistent. This blog post is intended to educate, if you have any questions or feedback after reading this, please don't hesitate to reach out.
10 THINGS ABOUT COPPER THAT I BET YOU DIDN'T KNOW
1) Copper is 100% recyclable and can be recycled over and over again, making it the world's most recycled material!
2) Recycled copper already makes up about 30% of the world's annual copper trade. This is 20,000,000 metric tonne.
3) Copper is an amazing metal and when combined with zinc, creates brass; when combined with tin, creates bronze.
4) Copper is an essential element for human nutrition and is needed to form blood cells (please don't try to eat our copper).
5) Copper is a natural antibacterial agent. This is why it is common practice to use copper and brass door handles in public buildings. This helps prevent disease transmission.
6) Have you or someone that you know ever had your hair turn green in a swimming pool? People always say it's the chlorine when in actual fact its the copper in the water!
7) Copper is the the traditional wedding Anniversary gift given for a 7th Anniversary when celebrating in the States, and a 9th or even 22nd Anniversary gift if celebrating in the UK or Australia.
8) There is evidence that we were using copper as far back as 10,000 years ago! Copper tools and decorative pieces dating back to 9000BCE have been discovered by archaeologists particularly, one such event with the discovery of a pendant light in Iraq.
9) Copper was named after the island of Cyprus, being that Cyprus literally translates to "cuprum" in Latin or, Copper in English. From the very beginning, copper was mined in Cyprus and the country became the copper supplier for much of the Roman Empire. This time period was also known as "The Bronze Age".
Did you know any of this already? Would you like to learn more about copper and brass? Follow us on Instagram
As always, thanks for being here.
- Cam and Beth x